Family Residences and Essential Enterprises, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Direct Support Specialist-Tuesday through Saturday 3pm-11pm
at Family Residences and Essential Enterprises, inc.
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Direct Service Professional
The Direct Support Specialist (DSS) provides supervision and oversight to the individuals residing in specialized OPWDD IRA residences who demonstrate as High Risk. High Risk is defined as those individuals who have been involved in the criminal justice system, or have the potential to become involved, and are at risk for reoffending while residing in a community based setting, without specialized supports and services in place. The DSS will provide support and services to these individuals based on person centered life plans, work collaboratively with the Direct Support Professionals and as a liaison to the clinical and management team members to address psychiatric and behavioral episodes. Further, the DSS will assist in ensuring behavioral support plans are followed and required documentation is completed as assigned. This team member will assist the Residence Supervisor in implementing agency policies and procedures.
Essential Job Functions
- Works with the people we support to help them identify and realize their personal life goals
- Ensures fire safety equipment is in working condition and teaches individuals to utilize this equipment.
- Conducts direct observations of behavior, review of records/behavioral data, and verbal/written input from team members.
- Teaches individuals who to contact for emergencies including, but not limited to, medical, psychiatric, fire, lack of food, etc.
- Assists individuals in utilizing community/neighborhood services.
- Acts as a liaison between individuals, and various treatment team members.
- Teaches independent living skills necessary to sustain individuals in the community such as: household maintenance, socialization skills, budgeting, self-medication, personal care, travel training, shopping, cooking, and returning to school or the work force.
- Develops Staff Action Plans/Residential Habilitation Plans in conjunction with the individuals and their treatment teams; encourages follow through on all goals in areas including but not limited to: housing stability, medication management, employment and vocational training, mental health treatment services, medical treatment, drug and alcohol assessment and referral (as necessary), and referrals for community-based services.
- Encourages and supports individuals to maintain psychiatric stability through counseling, crisis intervention, attending a daytime activity, participating in treatment, and utilizing other available resources.
- Assists individuals in complying with requirements of treatment such as legal mandates and conditions of parole or probation.
- Completes reports and documentation in a timely manner. Reviews documentation completed by Direct Support Professionals and assists in validation and follow up as required to ensure completion within required parameters.
- Assists the management team in ensuring all team members are trained on program specific documentation and treatment plans, while providing guidance and role modeling of same
- Meets at least once a week with Supervisor.
- Attends and participates in Interdisciplinary Team Meetings, case review meetings, and all other team meetings as assigned
- Accepts and follows through on other duties as assigned.
- Must maintain the following certifications CPR, FA, AMAP, and SCIP
- Must complete training on SPMI, Personality Disorders, Substance Use Disorders, Relapse Prevention, Evaluation and Assessment, Restriction and Supervision Planning, Anger Management, Harm Reduction Strategies, Professional Boundaries, and any other trainings as determined.
Education, Work Experience, and Competencies
- Associate’s Degree in a Human Services field required
- Must hold a valid New York State Driver’s License and must meet FREE’s driver policy criteria to be considered an agency driver
- Experience working with individuals with forensic histories, diagnosed with mental illness and/or substance abuse disorders preferred.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.