NYU Langone Health
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Clinical Lab Technologist
at NYU Langone Health
NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children's hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute¿designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Clinical Lab Technologist.
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for performing complex clinical laboratory tests on specimens for diagnostic purposes under minimal supervision
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Performs and documents preventive maintenance procedures and instrument function checks. Performs preventive maintenance procedures at each workstation as required. Documents all maintenance performed, both scheduled and unscheduled. Documents all required information in the appropriate section of the instrument problem log.
- Follows approved guidelines in approaches to problem solving and devises appropriate courses of action when patient results, control values and instrument function parameters are inconsistent or invalid: including investigation of possible sources of variance/interference, by taking appropriate action and/or performing additional testing as necessary to assure the accuracy of the reported patient value. Maintains sufficient working supplies in order to assure the continued integrity of workstation operations. Maintains up-to-date pending logs to ensure that all specimens have been processed accordingly.
- Performs additional procedures as required to ensure the quality of the laboratory testing performed; and documents this activity. Performs and records periodic quality control analysis, instrument function checks and preventive maintenance procedures following approved policy. Correlates final patient result with known facts concerning the patients history (previous results) to determine goodness of fit and recognized illogical results.
- Calls Critical Values to nursing unit immediately upon their completion and records the name of person to whom the results were given as well as the time of the call. Demonstrates sufficient knowledge or expertise in dealing with scientific principles involved in the methodology performed; as well as alternative methodologies and their application to a given situation. Brings unresolved problems to the attention of a supervisor/assistant supervisor(s) and is prepared to report on the results of initial problem investigation and discuss possible causes and solutions by presenting factual and objective data.
- Performs laboratory tests and procedures, which require technical skill and an exercise of independent judgment with minimal supervision, and documents results to ensure compliance with Medical Center and regulatory requirements. Applies sound technical judgment in evaluating problems and developing prompt, reasonable, workable alternatives, which benefit the patient within established guidelines of the department. Handles varying workloads while maintaining accuracy. Follows approved policies and procedures in performing specific methodologies and instrument operations and follows approved policies for proper recording (accuracy and legibility) and reporting of all results.
- Able to accurately interpret & record results of testing. Can differentiate normal & abnormal results. Reports promptly via computer or telephone. Reviews results & consults appropriate reference sources when needed. Consults with superiors to assist interpretation when necessary. Performs Quality Control measures to ensure accuracy of results.
- Performs routine microbiological/immunological testing of specimens on technologist level. Checks specimens for accuracy and appropriate containers. Correctly subcultures to specific media for optimal recovery of microbes. Possesses ability to identify presence of microbes by culture, antibody or other means. Possesses ability to perform antibiotic susceptibilities if applicable.
- Bachelor's Degree in Clinical Laboratory Technology from a program registered by the NYS Department of Education or Bachelor's Degree in the major of biology, chemistry or physical sciences from an accredited college or university
- One year in a clinical laboratory (Completion of an internship program at a qualified institution is acceptable)
- License as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist by the State of New York based on the on the Special Provision of the Regulations of the Commissioner in accordance with the Clinical Laboratory Technology Practice Act
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills required
Required Licenses: CliniclLabTechnolgst-NYSPermit, Clinical Lab Technologist-NYS
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.