Hospital for Special Surgey
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director, Accounting – Disbursements
at Hospital for Special Surgey
- Job ID
- Accounting/Finance - All Openings
- Emp Status
- Regular Full-Time
- Hours per Week
The Director of Accounting - Disbursements will report to the Controller and is responsible for overseeing day-to-day Accounts Payable (AP) and Payroll operations. The Director of Accounting - Disbursements is responsible for implementing and maintaining a system of internal controls including ensuring Payroll and AP transactions are in accordance with all financial policies and government regulations. To be successful in this role, you should have previous experience managing AP and Payroll for a large organization and have excellent attention to detail.
- Develops, implements and maintains systems, procedures and policies, relating to AP and Payroll functions to ensure adherence to company guidelines
- Assist in the identifying, review and implementation of enhanced or new Disbursement Systems
- Working with Treasury department to monitor cash flow
- Ensure accuracy of AP and Payroll data for financial statements
- Manage AAP function including setting up vendors and maintaining good vendor relationships
- Oversee AP group which handles all US and International check/wire transfer disbursements
- Resolve issues with employee expense reimbursements
- Set up and maintain functional disbursement systems for existing companies as well as future ventures
- Develop and implement disbursement audit procedures on an ongoing basis
- Manage disbursement discrepancies quickly and efficiently; communicate results to management where appropriate
- Coordinate external audits of disbursements
- Maintain staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training and evaluating employees to enhance their performance, development, work product and best practices
- Maintain staff job results by counseling and, and when necessary, disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Complete operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
- Work with Materials Management to resolve vendor payment issues and identify process improvements
- Work with Human Resources to ensure coordination of benefit deductions, vacation leave and other employee compensation adjustments
- Streamline and document disbursement and compensation procedures with a focus on optimization and automation
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation and interacting with other appropriate functions of the company; enforce adherence to requirements; advising management on needed action.
- Process one-time changes in payroll (additional salary requests, bonuses, etc.) when required
- Stay up-to-date with labor legislation and any changes in employee insurance and tax regulations
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- BS in Accounting, Finance or similar degree
EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Proven experience as an Accounts Payable and Payroll Director or Manager
- Outstanding interpersonal, verbal and written communication, and collaboration skills
- Hands-on experience with disbursement software such as Infor (Lawson) and Kronos or similar systems
- Familiarity with HRIS
- In-depth knowledge of labor legislation and tax regulations
- A high level of discretion and integrity when handling sensitive employee information
- Self-starter, hard worker