Memorial Sloan Kettering
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Manager, Operations (Research Administration)
at Memorial Sloan Kettering
- Requisition ID
- Professional - Research Administration
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Office of Research and Project Administration (ORPA) plays a crucial role for all activities related to the development and submission funding proposals and the management of research funds at MSK. ORPA is seeking an innovative leader to partner with departmental leadership and Research and Technology Management (RTM) divisional leadership, as appropriate, to plan and implement new programmatic initiatives affecting the MSK research community, ORPA, units' activities and staff.
Reporting to the VP, Research & Project Administration, as the Senior Manager, ORPA Operations, you will:
- Oversee the administrative operations, policies and procedures of the ORPA department.
- Be responsible for effectively supervising the Operations Unit of ORPA to ensure the most professional, organized, efficient and appropriate workflow for all processes related to the pre- and post-award management of research grants and contracts in an environment that encourages staff development, continuous improvement, and the highest quality service.
- Lead and participate in high-level projects that impact the business of research management at MSK.
- Maintain the integrity of all ORPA data and related systems through the development and enforcement of policies, procedures and controls.
- Develop standard and ad hoc reports and other process workflows to enhance compliance and monitor business metrics and efficiency.
- A cultivator of innovation who creates and fosters new ways for the organization to be successful.
- A provider of work directives, delegating responsibilities as necessary and removing obstacles in order to get work done.
- Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Building effective teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Eager to foster talent and support people in meeting their career goals and departmental and organizational goals.
- Someone with a proven ability to maneuver through complex policy, process and people-related organizational dynamics.
- Able to operate effectively, even when things are not clear or the way forward is not obvious.
- A Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) with 0-2 years of supervisory/management experience required; more than 2 years of supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience with grants management, data analysis and business metrics development and tracking.
- Familiarity with related business systems, databases, Excel, SQL and/or Tableau (data visualization) preferred.
- A minimum of 4 years of research administration experience.
- Strong information management skills to communicate, explain, interpret share and/or present information to employees and management staff at MSK and appropriate external contacts.
- Excellent communication skills required including composing and editing a variety of documents, giving presentations and speeches, chairing and participating in meetings and project workgroups.
- Analytical skills to develop, analyze and draw conclusions from review of data and develop solutions or process improvements.
- The ability to apply broad technical and professional knowledge, and significant job-related experience to function as an internal consultant and assume managerial responsibility in a specialized functional unit of the organization. #LI-POST
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.