New York Public Library
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Communications & Publications Manager, Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture
at New York Public Library
- Job ID
- # of Openings Remaining
- SCD Schomburg Administration
The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, a research library of The New York Public Library, is one of the world's leading research facilities devoted to the preservation of materials on the global African and African diasporan experiences. A focal point of cultural and intellectual life, the Center also functions as a research facility and cultural arts institution providing public programs, exhibitions, fellowships and various initiatives that illuminate and illustrate the richness of black history and culture. The communications manager of the Schomburg Center is responsible for developing and implementing a robust marketing, branding and communications strategy with the primary goal of increasing the visibility of the Center and its work across a wide range of audiences using print, social media and digital platforms.
Promoting and advancing the work of the Schomburg relies upon effective communications to reach new audiences, educate our patrons and members, and strengthen the institution’s brand. The communications manager supports the NYPL's goals of public engagement, education and access to patrons and scholars accessing the Schomburg Center. This is accomplished through partnering with the Schomburg staff as well as the Library’s Communications and Marketing team to meet our current demands and future visions regarding communications and social media.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Staff:
- Develops the Schomburg Center’s overall media and communications strategy in collaboration with the NYPL Media Relations team
- Develops and manages a communications and social media work plan including production of various print and digital materials, media engagement metrics, and public relations
- Coordinates communication efforts across departments and divisions of the Schomburg Center and the NYPL including public programs, collections, education, exhibitions and government relations
- Manages, writes, and edits effective print materials including a members publication, brochures, posters and related assignments
- Administers the Center’s multiple online and social media platforms including, website content, blog posts, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, and the bi-weekly members e-newsletter Connections
- Curates and administers the Center’s internal and external digital signage platform
- Coordinates graphic designers, copywriters, printers, technicians and other media professionals
- Develops and manages production schedules in tandem with institutional work plans and capacity
- Produces and presents quarterly analytical reports on Schomburg's print and digital media
- Performs related duties and executes other projects as required
- Manages communications budget as needed
- Serve as a key liaison with Schomburg staff to acquire information for communications
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in Liberal Arts, Humanities, Journalism, Communications, or a related discipline.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong editorial, organizational and time management skills
- Digital and Design Literacy
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and independently to accomplish tasks
- Diplomatic approach and strategic thinking
- Strong writing, proofreading, copy-editing, oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience using social media, online tools, and/or mobile technology to promote organizational goals and mission
- Experience with press relations, media engagement, story promotion and executive public relations
- Broad knowledge of current affairs, history, and literature of Africa and the African diaspora.
- Successfully demonstrated ability to manage complex and numerous projects concurrently.
- Strong interpersonal skills as well as the ability to build and foster relationships within the center, system-wide, and with external resources.
- Ability to be focused and detailed, meet deadlines and juggle multiple tasks, and work as part of a team, while maintaining the big picture.
- Ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate final products to appropriate multi-stakeholder audiences.
- Strong writing and editing skills, with an ability to expeditiously synthesize complex material into manageable messaging.
- Advanced computer skills, including MS Office, photo editing software and Adobe Indesign.
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the New York Public Library's Core Values:
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work