The Salvation Army National Corporation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at The Salvation Army National Corporation
- Job ID
- Food Services
- Compensation Min
- USD $15.00/Hr.
- Compensation Max
- USD $18.00/Hr.
- Regular Full-Time
Under the supervision of the Educational Director, the Assistant Cook is responsible to assist with preparing and serving all food in the center and for maintaining the kitchen in a sanitary and efficient condition.Under the supervision of the Assistant Complex Administrator, assist preparing all food for the year-round School-Age Child Care Programs and for maintaining the kitchen in a sanitary and efficient condition.
- Follow individual work schedule provided by the director to indicate specific responsibilities and the time scheduled for them.
- Cooperates in total staff effort designed to improve the center’s services.
- Participates in periodic individual conferences and regular staff meetings as scheduled by the Director. These will be called when changes are planned in the children’s program, which affect the Assistant Cook, so that discussions and suggestions for improving the services may be shared among the director and staff. Such meeting will also be called when policy or changes are be made affecting budgetary needs for food and supplies or rearrangement of space. Participation in staff parties and attendance is parents meeting are also encouraged but not required, as a means of promotion a feeing of staff unity and proving opportunities for information exchange of information between parents and total staff.
- Under the supervision of the Educational Director, the Assistant Cook will carry out the following functions in according with the work schedule provided by the director.
- Assist with preparing, cooking and serving food according to recommended practices (see attached).
- Follow weekly menus made in consultation with the director. Confer with director when menu changes are indicated, i.e., necessary substitution or the use of leftovers.
- Apportionment of food for children’s groups according to need.
- Make local food purchase when necessary.
- Wash dishes and utensils according to sanitary practices.
- Keep kitchen and storeroom in clean, sanitary and orderly condition, i.e., range, sink, refrigeration, cupboards.
- Keep kitchen equipment and utensils in good condition.
- Place kitchen garbage in designated covered receptacle.
- In the absence of a helper, the Assistant Cook shall wash dishtowels and truck covers.
- Keep simple inventory of food and household supplies on hand as needed.
- Inform director of needed food supplies, repairs, and replacement of kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Be responsible for storing or for supervising the storage of all food and household supplies.
- Other related duties, as assigned, consistent with the above
- Current Food Safety Certifications
- Previous related experience in food preparation (preferably in large quantities), dishwashing and housekeeping.
- Ability to read and write in order to follow written menus, recipes and work schedules. Ability to keep simple inventory of supplies on hand and needed.
- Friendly, cheerful personality and ability to maintain cooperative relationship with other staff, children, parents and visitors to the center.
- Ability to maintain sanitary work and personal habits.
- Good health, including current Chest X-Ray and annual physical examination after employment.