ADAPT Community Network
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Direct Support Specialist, Brooklyn-New York
at ADAPT Community Network
Why Join ADAPT?
It's more than a job; it's a calling. It's where passion meets purpose. ADAPT Community Network, formerly United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) of NYC provides a multitude of services to people with developmental disabilities. At ADAPT, we are 3,000 strong, and it takes every one of us to empower the lives of the people we support. With caring and great resources at hand, we know what it takes to help people live fuller, happier, healthier lives. Our employees show their commitment to the people we support every day, and we all deliver on our promise to provide innovative and comprehensive services to individuals with developmental disabilities.
For your next career move, apply with us at ADAPT Community Network! Wherever you work among our many locations around New York City, ADAPT offers paid training, competitive benefits, and we foster a team culture of learning, support, collaboration and career growth.
• Provides care and assists with personal development and independence of residents.
• Ensures that all measures for safety and well-being are maintained at highest level.
• Trains residents in activities of daily living and in development of self-help and social skills.
• Maintains a personalized, homelike atmosphere in residence facility.
• Attends weekly staff meetings as well as any other assigned meetings and in-service training.
• Prepares concise written reports including Incident Reports, Residents’ Progress Notes and other reports as assigned.
• Responds to crisis situations and medical emergencies, including accidents by taking quick and decisive action.
• Ensures actions are conducted in a manner that prevents abuse and reports observations of co-workers who may be abusive in accordance with established procedures.
• Administers appropriate first aid based on visible symptoms and resident history in accordance with established guidelines and accepted first aid practices.
• Summons police, fire, ambulance or other emergency personnel if situation warrants it.
• If emergency has caused resident to exhibit behavior that is threatening or dangerous, in accordance with OPWDD approved Behavior Management guidelines, may have to restrain that resident.
• Transports residents in agency vehicles to and from work, shopping, programs, restaurants, movies, doctor’s appointments, etc.
• Assists with meal planning and preparation as well as with purchasing of food and supplies.
• Demonstrates an understanding of and implements behavioral programs.
• Participates fully as a member of interdisciplinary plan.
• Maintains an ongoing informal exchange of information. Maintains written logs for recording daily activities.
• Performs housekeeping, cooking, laundry, light maintenance and light preventative maintenance duties as needed in order to maintain a safe and homelike environment.
• Supervises any other activities as may be necessary in order to maintain quality of program.
• Dispenses prescribed medications to residents after successful completion of medication administration course and in line with Agency protocol. AMAP’s are supervised by residence nurse in all areas related to medication administration.
• Completes all activities related to skill buildings as outlined in individual program plans.
• Attends to personal hygiene needs of residents i.e. toileting, bathing and changing as situation warrants.
• Handles all resident specific documents in a secure and confidential manner.
• Performs related duties as requested.
Adapt Community Network is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds and status are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.