ADAPT Community Network
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Habilitation Specialist - Port Richmond, Staten Island
at ADAPT Community Network
Why Join ADAPT?
It's more than a job; it's a calling. It's where passion meets purpose. ADAPT Community Network, formerly United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) of NYC provides a multitude of services to people with developmental disabilities. At ADAPT, we are 3,000 strong, and it takes every one of us to empower the lives of the people we support. With caring and great resources at hand, we know what it takes to help people live fuller, happier, healthier lives. Our employees show their commitment to the people we support every day, and we all deliver on our promise to provide innovative and comprehensive services to individuals with developmental disabilities.
For your next career move, apply with us at ADAPT Community Network! Wherever you work among our many locations around New York City, ADAPT offers paid training, competitive benefits, and we foster a team culture of learning, support, collaboration and career growth.
The duties and responsibilities of the Habilitation Specialist will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Serves as a liaison between Agency, residences and families. Serves as advocate and provider for all issues pertaining to individuals receiving services.
• Develops programs and Day Habilitation plans for persons served.
• Implements active treatment plans for program participants, both inside and outside of building.
• Supervises non-professional staff in implementation of Day Habilitation plans.
• Participates in individual program planning process.
• Orients, trains, evaluates, delegates, supervises work of and recommends hiring and disciplining of subordinate staff.
• Recognizes and observes important relationships with Service Coordinators for participants’ program development and referral for other kinds of assistance as needed.
• Maintains attendance and other required records/paperwork.
• Utilizes community resources, as appropriate for implementation of Day Habilitation plans and community integration.
• Carries out basic administrative tasks related to caseload and other selected assignments as directed by Program Director or Program Coordinator.
• Plans group, individual activities and assigns staff to implement.
• Trains and instructs support staff in daily routine, program plan and general procedures and practices of group.
• Attends regularly scheduled supervisory staff meetings.
• Prepares and adapts materials and plans and sets up furniture and equipment for program
• Participates in scheduled in-service training programs.
• Provides support/coverage to other classrooms as needed.
• Participates in activities outside of activity room when necessary, i.e. trips, pool, gym.
Enters swimming pool with program participants as required.
• Selects and utilizes educational materials.
• Teaches persons served to become more independent.
• Drives Agency vehicles for individual transportation, pickups, deliveries, community
outings and medical emergencies as required.
• Assists persons served with transportation between buses and buildings as needed.
• Performs direct care responsibilities that include feeding and toileting as needed.
• Initiates precautions within established framework to assure that own work is completed
in a manner free from recognized hazards.
• Performs other related duties as requested.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or
ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Valid New York State Driver’s License is preferred
• Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
• Good oral and written communication skills
• Good interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with coworkers, employees,
residents and their families
• Good organizational and teaching skills
• Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and appropriate software
• Ability to operate wheelchairs and adaptive equipment utilized by persons served
• Must maintain confidentiality of the records of the persons served
• Ability to analyze problems and determine corrective measures
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s Degree in a Human Services or related field
• One year of post graduate experience is required
ADAPT Community Network is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds and status are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.